Under direction of the Head of School, the Grades 5-8 French Teacher is responsible for supporting the school and the Diocese of Bridgeport in its mission. He/she is to facilitate student success and growth by implementing a French curriculum; documenting teaching and student outcomes; addressing specific educational needs of individual students; creating a flexible, safe, and optimal learning environment; and providing feedback to parents and administration regarding student progress, expectations, goals, etc. Educators are engaged in a school conducted by the Roman Catholic Church for the express purpose of education in the academic, social, moral, and religious values promulgated by the Church.
St. Thomas is seeking a collaborative, enthusiastic and engaging French teacher. This teacher will work with four classes of students in the 5th=8th grade who will meet four times a week for 50 minutes. We expect this teacher to:
- Incorporate a inquiry-based pedagogy
- Nurture curiosity, intellectual growth, and character development
- Engage students in an innovative curriculum
- Demonstrate strong content knowledge
- Collaborate with colleagues
- Clearly/effectively communicate with parents
- Maintain a positive, organized and well-structured learning environment
- Manage a classroom effectively
- Design instruction to meet the needs of all students through both individual and small group settings, as needed
- Work to develop the mind and character of our students
- Continue to acquire professional knowledge and learning of current developments in the educational field by accessing professional development opportunities
- Develop effective methods of evaluation that are directly related to curriculum objectives and to concepts and skills taught; consistently and effectively evaluates student progress and responds appropriately.
- Demonstrate professional responsibility in enforcing diocesan and school policies and regulations.
- Maintain confidentiality and sound judgment; represents the school in a professional manner.
- Performs other related tasks as assigned by the Head of School
Note: The above description is illustrative of expectations. It is not meant to be all inclusive.
- Working knowledge and strong commitment to the mission of the Catholic Church.
- Outstanding communications skills including written, verbal, public speaking and presentation skills.
- Excellent human relations and interpersonal skills; must be a self-starter and be well-organized; must be a team player
- Be able to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Proficient in computer technology and related educational technology.
- Flexibility in assessing needs and strategies - adapt appropriately.
- Bachelor’s Degree accredited college/university in Education or related discipline to teaching role
- Experience teaching or working with the French language
- Valid State Teaching Certification in appropriate grade level and/or subject
- Practicing Roman Catholic, in good standing
- Master’s Degree
- Successful prior teaching experience for the appropriate grade and subject level