FT Special Education Teacher, St. Catherine Academy for Special Needs
- In consultation with district staff, formulates and oversees the implementation of a written Individualized Education Plan for each student in accordance with school and district policy. The classroom teacher is responsible for creating a draft set of goals and objectives and implementing and evaluating the IEP for each student in her/his caseload. The classroom teacher participates in all PPT meetings and serves to explain the IEP to parents. The classroom teacher monitors and documents each student’s progress toward goals on a quarterly basis.
- Provides for individual learning needs by incorporating a variety of teaching strategies and materials in the daily program.
- Develops, as required, Behavior Intervention Plans for specific students, and methods for data collection and monitoring.
- Actively participates in the school-wide positive school climate initiatives and implements positive behavior support plans according to the needs of each student.
- Prepares and implements daily lesson plans.
- Participates in all regularly scheduled faculty meetings, in-service workshops, parent-teacher conferences and PPT meetings.
- Administers assessments appropriate to each student and maintains and records all pertinent data for official school documents and progress reports.
- Directs and supervises classroom Teacher Assistants in conjunction with the Director of Education and provides the Director of Education evaluative information regarding performance.
- Collaborates with other Teachers, Teaching Assistants, Occupational Therapists, Speech Therapists and Physical Therapists in the coordination of services for each student.
- Incorporates Assistive Technology tools into the classroom setting in support of students’ IEPs.
- Notifies the Director of Education (Principal) of any incidents and/or potential problems requiring special attention and then notifies parents if appropriate.
- Assumes designated responsibilities within the school concerning the supervision of children and proper use of educational materials and equipment.
- Communicates regularly with parents.
- Maintains an organized classroom.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Practicing Roman Catholic in good standing preferred.
- Valid CT Certification – Comprehensive Special Education.
- Experience working with individuals with developmental disabilities preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in education from an accredited institution, Master’s Degree preferred.
- Demonstrated excellence in communication and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, set goals and analyze data.
- An understanding of national trends and standards related to disabilities.
- Experience working with outside agencies who work with people with disabilities preferred.
- Excellent presentation and group facilitation skills.
- An understanding of the mission of Saint Catherine Center for Special Needs.