Under the direction of the school principal, the classroom teacher is responsible for supporting the school and the Diocese of Bridgeport in its mission. He/she is to facilitate student success and growth in academic and interpersonal skills through implementing diocesan approved curriculum; documenting teaching and student progress/activities, outcomes; addressing specific educational needs of individual students and by creating a flexible, safe and optimal learning environment; and providing feedback to students, parents and administration regarding student progress, expectations, goals, etc. Educators are engaged in a school conducted by the Roman Catholic Church for the express purpose of education in the academic, social, moral and religious values promulgated by the Church.
FLSA Status: Exempt
- Recognizes and supports the unique Catholic Mission of the school by speaking, acting, and instructing consistent with the teachings of the Catholic Church.
- Gives evidence of lived Gospel values by being an active member of a faith community and being open to the importance of personal faith journey; strives to model the teaching of Jesus by attitude and example.
- Helps build the school’s faith community by demonstrating a willingness to participate in and plan school religious and service activities.
- Demonstrates effective planning skills by preparing lessons designed to implement stated goals and objectives and incorporating school and diocesan curriculum objectives in lesson plans.
- Promotes a safe and conducive environment conducive to individualized and small group instruction.
- Demonstrates competence in teaching by having a current, thorough knowledge of curriculum and subject matter, communicating effectively with students, organizing classroom learning and materials to maximize student time on tasks, and motivating student learning
- Continues to acquire professional knowledge and learn current developments in the educational field by attending seminars, workshops, professional development, reading professional educational publications, etc.
- Encourages parental involvement in students' education and ensures effective communication with students and parents
- Coordinates with other professional staff members and participates in faculty meetings and committees.
- Develops and uses effective methods of evaluation that are directly related to curriculum objectives and concepts and skills taught; consistently and effectively evaluates student progress.
- Establishes a consistent disciplinary approach that promotes self-direction and positive self-image; sets high standards for student behavior and manages inappropriate behavior effectively per school/diocesan policies.
- Maintains a functional and pleasant learning environment.
- Cooperates with school and diocesan administration; works effectively with all staff members to promote positive relationships with students and parents
- At all times, demonstrates professional responsibility in enforcing diocesan and school policies and regulations.
- Maintains confidentiality of information
- Performs other related tasks as assigned by the Principal and Office of the Superintendent of Schools.
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibilit
- Working knowledge and strong commitment to the mission of fostering lay leadership in the Catholic Church.
- Excellent communications skills - written, verbal, public speaking and presentation skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; a self-starter and well-organized; team player; multi-tasker.
- Proficient in computer technology and related educational technology.
- Flexibility in assessing needs and strategies - adapt appropriately.
- Bachelor’s Degree accredited college/university in Education or related discipline to teaching assignment
- Valid State Teaching Certification in appropriate grade level and/or subject
- Practicing Roman Catholic, in good standing
- Master’s Degree
- Demonstrated experience teaching in a Catholic School
- Successful prior teaching experience for the appropriate grade level